Is there another way to talk about abortion?
Series: Debated: Answering Hard Questions About Christianity
Guest Preacher Ed Noble, Journey Community Church, San Diego
At our church, we are unashamedly pro-life, but we are not angrily or condemningly pro-life. This is not a political issue.”
- God 101: Unpacking God’s Heart for Life
- God as Creator. He has directly created everyone everywhere. He did not just get the world rolling so that people just “happen.” He fashioned us specifically and carefully (cf. Pr. 22:2; Acts 17:26).
- God as Owner (Ezek. 18:4).
- God as “Holi-izer” (sanctifier) of all life (Gen. 1:27).
- Our situation: When it comes to abortion we are all polarized and in pain.
- Is there a new way to talk about abortion?
- We must live the Imago Dei (the “Image of God”). This implies that the strong are responsible for the weak (Acts 20:35). Who is weaker than a helpless, unborn baby?
- Live the Jesus Shema. The shema is found in Mark 12:28:31. “Shema Yisrael” is the Hebrew phrase for “Hear, O Israel,” found in the Torah, which is the centerpiece for Hebrew worship. It calls Jews to remember that God is one and they are to worship him only. But Jesus goes a step further. He gives the greatest commandment (love God) and tells us another commandment (love our neighbor). This was a huge paradigm shift for Jews. We are to love every person.
- When it comes to abortion:
- Our hearts should break for all the victims. The victims are also the perpetrators. Our hearts should break for the doctors performing the abortions.
- We (the church) should become a safe place to be broken and find healing.
- We need to remember that love is patient. And we must wait for God’s timing. Saint Ephraim said, “Remember that every person you meet is fighting a great [spiritual] battle.”
- Everyone can be forgiven. But remember that Jesus just didn’t come to forgive us. He came to restore us into his image.