Here are six straightforward ideas to challenge middle (and upper) class Americans to reject opulence and excess while building the kingdom of God:
- Keep your high paying job and give the majority of your income away by living in a small house (not every kid deserves their own room) and driving modest cars (Chevy gets you there just as well as Lexus).
- Use your vacation time to go on a short term mission trip with your church or missions organization.
- Host international students from the local college or university during weekends or holidays.
- Start or join an urban ministry reaching hurting families, particularly widows and orphans.
- Buy a house, car, or other useful items for missionary families to use while they are home on furlough.
- Cash in your investments, sell everything, leave your vocation, and serve as a missionary overseas (even if you have children!).
What are some others you have thought of?